Thursday, December 6, 2007

USD January Conference

I am pleased to announce that I and a few other Autism Hub bloggers will be presenting at the University of San Diego Autism Institute Conference in January!

Several bloggers will be presenting in person - including one of my personal favorites, Bev from Asperger Square 8. The title of our presentation is "Enhancing Communication: Blogging and Autism". We plan to discuss a number of issues related to blogging and the Autism Hub, with each presenter speaking of their personal experience and area of focus. Our presentation will also feature two video presentations which will help the attendees gain a greater understanding of how the Hub came to be what it is today and how its contributors and readers feel about it.

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you may recall a series of posts (1, 2, 3)I did in July about the Summer Conference I attended at USD. I was very impressed with the topics covered, the expertise of the presenters, and the emphasis on providing viable supports for autistic people that emphasized the person over the disorder.

The conference will take place from January 7-9 in San Diego. The USD campus is among the most beautiful in the U.S., and the conference itself will take place - appropriately - in the beautiful Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice. Aside from our presentation, topics will include:
-Understanding Sensory and Movement Differences (by Martha Leary, read here)
-The role of development of learning and other support accomodations
-Applying Dynamic Systems Theory
-Humanizing and personalizing positive Applied Behavioral Analysis approaches
-Understanding the lived experience of persons with the autism label

I look forward to seeing those of you who are able to attend!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very happy that members of the HUB are being included in this program. I have been going to those sites for years, the writers have different points of view but all seem to be tied together by a deep respect for autistic people.

The concept of coupling the sites into a HUB is brilliant, it saves so much time for the readers. Plus you can be sure of finding high quality articles.

San Diego in January – oh, I wish I could get there. Thank you for all of your efforts.

Alyric said...

Way to go Steve!

Do us proud mate:)

I really like the program - except for the obligatory 'lived experience' . I'm sure they mean well, but I really wish they could ditch that in favour of autistic centrality in all the program. This is a species of apartheid. It does not need a space separate from the program. I might be reading it wrong, but it does not seem so from the little that's on the website.

I'm rather fond of Leary and Hill 2006, which I found very informative. The idea of humanising DTT is a great idea. Perhaps Laura Schreibman will attend.

abfh said...

Thanks very much for your work in helping to set up this conference, Steve! It looks very promising.

Casdok said...

How exciting for you!

Marla said...

Have a great time! I hope it goes well.

Niksmom said...

Steve, *this* is another example of how you make a difference! Sure wish I could attend but it's not possible...this year. Just curious, is there anyone representing the perspective of mutiple disabilities with autism? I'd really like to "hear" more about that.

J said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Niksmom - We will not have a presenter whose focus is on multiple disabilities, but I will make a point of mentioning that the hub includes at least one blog with that component ;)
As far as the USD Autism Institute, July's conference featured Sue Rubin as a presenter, and Ms. Rubin certainly does a great job of representing that segment.

Niksmom said...

Thanks, Steve. I think it's important for people to know some of the challenges faced by multiply disabled people with autism. For Nik, so many of the so-called educators and many other professionals we've worked with want to dismiss the autism as being a part of another concurrent condtion; in Nik's case they want to blame his extreme prematurity and tell me "oh, he'll catch up" or "he'll outgrow it." Or they want to chalk it up to his cerebral palsy. It is difficult to get our concerns really heard and addressed in any meaningful ways. In fact, that's part of why we pulled him out of school; they refused to classify him as autistic (despite a medical diagnosis for nearly 2 years) and said his sensory issues were just a matter of getting more/better exposure "He'll get used to things." Very frustrating. (Thanks for letting me ramble...)

MothersVox said...

Steve, This is fantastic. I'm excited to hear about this and may even try to get out to San Diego for the conference.

Also, you just inspired me to write about my "two months away from autism blogging" (two really difficult months away from blogging that were made worse by not blogging) . . .

MothersVox said...

Steve, This is fantastic. I'm excited to hear about this and may even try to get out to San Diego for the conference.

Also, you just inspired me to write about my "two months away from autism blogging" (two really difficult months away from blogging that were made worse by not blogging) . . .