Thursday, April 16, 2009

A PSA I Can Support

Many of us in the autism community are constantly appalled at what passes for "awareness" these days. There is a near-constant barrage of negative publicity regarding autism. I have seen TV ads that create a metaphor between autism diagnosis and automobile deaths in young children. PETA got in on the party a while back, and I wrote about that. Autistic kids are framed as 'monsters' in a recent campaign in the UK. Of course, there was the infamous "Ransom Notes" campaign of last year. So I expect you'll understand that I cringe when I see another Autism PSA coming down the turnpike.

This one is different. Many thanks to the Dan Marino Foundation, Ari Ne'eman and ASAN for doing a great job with this one. I hope there is more to come from this coalition.



Of course, there are other positive awareness activities going on. Here is one very good example:
Autism Awareness Video by Bev

1 comments:

Maddy said...

Just watched that on ABFH so now I'll nip over and watch Bev's, thank you.
Cheers