Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Opinions

When considering what I may have to offer to the blogging community that discusses autism and Neurodiversity, I first had to consider what areas are already covered. The truth is, just about all of them.
Not Mercury takes a scientific approach to the issues, with a strong measure of humanism thrown in. Ditto for Dad of Cameron. Autism Diva keeps a close eye on the MIND Institute and expounds on all things affecting the welfare of autistics around the world. Bartholomew Cubbins is the maker of the best anti-quackery videos to be found anywhere. Joel gives us the autistic perspective on ethics and morals. Prometheus exposes the flaws in logic that lead all of us down the path of false conclusions, while shedding a very bright luminescence on the flawed arguments of the Mercury Militia. Club 166 ruminates on family life, while Estee continually reminds us of how wonderful it is. MOM-NOS makes me want to hug Bud, though I haven't even met the little guy. Amanda, through her blog and videos, has given more mileage to autism awareness than ASA has accomplished in years. And Kathleen, oh gosh, remind me never to get on your bad side. Also, please remind me to never enter into a logic debate with Interverbal, as I will most certainly lose (he is probably critically analyzing my last statement, even though it compliments him). Let me not forget Kev, that pot of gold at the end of the Google rainbow, who is the most commonly used launch pad for autism acceptance the world has ever known - literally.
I know there are many of you who I have not included on this list, and no offense is intended by the ommission.
I would strongly encourage any visitor here who has not reviewed the aforementioned blogs and any others that are included in the Autism Hub to do so.

The question remains - what can I offer? Hence the name of my blog - One Dad's Opinion. Since I am seemingly unable to keep up to pace with the science, I am left with ... opinion. Since I am neurotypical and cannot accurately speak to the autistic perspective, anything I offer there is ... opinion. But I AM a Dad, and therefore I can speak about fatherhood utilizing ... well ... opinion. So there you have it. If you are interested in this Dad's opinions, you've come to the right place.

6 comments:

Club 166 said...

Steve,

Welcome to the blogosphere, and thanks for the nod.

I'm just another dad who is not a natural writer. And I'm still wandering a bit as I try to find my niche as to the topics I address.

But I have come to see that the collective is stronger than each individual part. We all, in our way, are adding to our collective knowledge and experience. And it's a good thing.

So blog on, fellow dad. I look forward to following your journey.

Do'C said...

Hi Steve,

A hearty "welcome" to you as a blogger and autism-hub blogger at that. I'm looking forward to reading much more from you.

J said...

But I have come to see that the collective is stronger than each individual part.
I couldn't agree more, Club 166. Between work and family, there is so little time to contribute to the the autism community as a whole. By communicating with this group, and hopefully touching a few newcomers to the whole issue, I feel like I am at least doing a little something.
Do'C, thanks for the welcome. It is through the actions of guys like you that I was motivated to try this.

Another Autism Mom said...

Hi,

I always enjoy reading your comments in other blogs, so I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer through your own posts. You sound like a wonderful Dad and family guy in general. :)

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Based upon what I have seen you post on other blogs, I am very happy to see you have started your own. Looking at the folks you mentioned you are joining some very good company.

Good luck and I hope this is an informative journey for you.

Mary said...

Thanks, Steve! And an official welcome to the neighborhood!

I'm sure that Bud would appreciate the sentiment - but he'd probably prefer a high five just the same. You know how that is. ;-)